Pool Liner Replacement
A pool liner is designed to last an average of 12 to 15 years. It is not uncommon for liners to last longer or, in some cases, much less than 12 years.
Many factors that can affect the lifespan are:
- Living in an area that is susceptible to ground water problems.
- Maintaining chemically balanced water in the swimming pool.
- The fit of the liner. A liner is custom fit to your pool and it is critical that the measurements are accurate prior to the manufacturing process.
- The use of a winter cover has numerous benefits and can add years of life to a liner. The cover protects the liner from the harsh winter sun, keeps potentially harmful debris out of the pool, protects the liner from being pervaded by red dye from rotting leaves, and best of all, upon opening your pool, the water is swim-ready in no time.
- There are a few reasons for replacing a liner. In the event the liner no longer holds water, i.e. it leaks, and patching is no longer an option as with age the vinyl becomes brittle and a patch will no longer bond to it. Another common reason is aesthetics, as liners get older their patterns tend to fade and new patterns also become available.
When is the right time to replace a liner?
The ideal time to replace a liner is either in the spring or fall. By doing so you do not lose any of those important summer months when you want to be using the pool. Spring is usually the busiest period for liner replacements and manufacturing plants can often get backed up at this time. We recommend that if you are interested in having a liner replaced, you call as soon as possible to schedule our team. The usual time for manufacturing a liner is two weeks, however there have been instances during May when high demand has resulted in a liner taking over three weeks to manufacture.
What is the process for replacing a liner?
Once the need to replace your liner has been determined, we will need to measure your pool in order for liner to be an exact fit. If the contours of the pool can be determined with the old liner and water in place, you can continue enjoying your pool until the new liner is ready to install. In some instances we may need to pump the water out and remove the old liner in order to ensure accurate measurements. Once the pool has been measured and you have picked your pattern, we place the order for your new liner. A few days before we receive the liner we will prepare your pool for installation. Once we install the liner and fill the pool, there are some last steps, such as cutting in the returns, skimmer, and stairs. The entire process should take two or three days, depending on your water pressure. Finally, it is important to get the water balanced and it is recommended that you bring a water sample into our showroom in order for us to test it for you.
Is your pool in need of an upgrade? Peterson pools & Spas renovations can transform your old pool into a beautiful backyard oasis.
We can help upgrade your pool with:
- Walk in steps
- Liner Replacement
- Rock waterfalls
- Safety covers
- Variable speed pumps
- Digital heaters
- Prologic automation
- Saltwater systems